When you want to get someone a gift and have no idea what to buy, it can become frustrating. Whether for the gift-giving season, Mother’s or Father’s Day, or a birthday, a digital gift can be the perfect present.
Apple makes easy for you to buy a book, music, app, game, movie, or TV show as a gift. All you need is your recipient’s email address and you’re on your way to making their day.
Give digital gifts
What you can buy where
You might think that you can just gift an item from any Apple store on any device, but unfortunately, you cannot (currently).
So before you read on about how to buy your gift, keep these locations in mind to know where you can buy it.
iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch: App Store (apps and games), iTunes Store (albums, movies, TV shows), and Apple Books (books and audiobooks)
Mac (and PC with iTunes): iTunes Store (songs and albums) or Apple Books (books and audiobooks)
In a nutshell, if you want to gift a single song, you need to use your computer and if you want to gift apps, TV shows, or movies, you need to use your iOS device.
Send a gift from iPhone or iPad
On your iOS device, head to the store for the type of item you want to buy: the App Store, iTunes Store, or Apple Books app.
1) Then locate the item you want to gift and do one of the following:
- In the App Store, tap Share > Gift App.
- In the iTunes Store, tap Share > Gift.
- In the Books app store, tap the Gift.
2) Enter your recipient’s email address and optionally a message for the occasion.
3) Choose when you would like to send the gift and tap Next. You can send it immediately or tap Today to schedule a date.
4) Select a theme for the email and tap Next.
5) Review your order and tap Buy at the top.
6) Confirm your gift by tapping Buy Now, also at the top.
Send a gift from Mac
Open the iTunes Store in the Music app or the Apple Books app, depending on the gift you want to give. On PC, simply open iTunes. Then, follow these steps.
1) Click the Sharing options arrow next to the item’s price.
2) Select Gift This [Book, Song, Album].
3) Enter your recipient’s email address and optionally a message for the occasion.
4) Choose when you would like to send the gift and click Next. You can send it immediately or click Today to schedule a date.
5) Select a theme for the email and click Next.
6) Review your order and click Buy Gift.
Notes on buying gifts
Here are some things to note when purchasing apps, books, and music as gifts.
- You cannot send a free item as a gift. Simply share a link to the item if you like.
- Your recipient must have an Apple ID in your country or region.
- You can cancel a scheduled gift up to two days before it’s delivered by contacting Apple Support.
- You cannot use store credit to purchase a gift. The cost will be deducted from the payment method you have on file.
- You cannot purchase gifts if you’re part of a Family Sharing group with Ask to Buy enabled for your account.
Wrapping it up
If you’re not sure which app, movie, album, or book your recipient might like, you can always send them store credit as a present instead. This lets them use the funds you give as a gift to purchase an item of their choice.
Are you going to gift an item from the App Store, Books, or iTunes?