After installing iOS 14, any new iPhone app downloads show up in the App Library instead of appearing on your Home screen like before. While this helps declutter those crowded Home screens, less experienced users may be wondering where their downloaded apps are. Thankfully, Apple gives you the option to choose for yourself where new iPhone app downloads will appear. Follow along with us as we show you how to set whether new iPhone app downloads are added to the Home screen like before or appear in the App Library only.
App Library on the Home screen
iOS 14’s iPhone-only App Library automatically organizes apps into one central view at the end of your Home screen pages. It also lets you browse all of your installed apps alphabetically and automatically sorts your apps into categories like Social or Games.
Apple first publicly demonstrated the App Library feature during the June 22 WWDC 2020 keynote ahead of its commercial launch in the fall as part of the iOS 14 software update.
Follow along with us as we show you how to choose between having new iPhone app downloads appear o your Home screen, like in iOS 13, or in the App Library only.
Setting where new iPhone app downloads go
Follow these steps to control where the iPhone app downloads should appear:
- Launch Settings on your iPhone with iOS 14.0 or later.
- Choose Home Screen from the main list.
- Choose Add to Home Screen or App Library Only under the heading New App Downloads.
Here’s what each option does:
- Add to Home Screen: New iPhone apps you download get added to the Home screen, just like before. They also automatically show up in the App Library. Recent app downloads can always be found within the App Library’s Recently Added folder.
- App Library Only: New app downloads are added to the App Library only and won’t appear on any of your Home screens. This works especially great if you opt to hide unimportant app pages on the Home screen for quicker access to the App Library.
This is what the interface looks like.
And that’s how you set where new iPhone app downloads should appear in iOS 14.
So what happens if you enable the App Library Only option and later revert to the Add to Home Screen setting? Shouldn’t doing so automatically make any apps you’ve downloaded while the App Library Only option was selected re-appear on the Home screen? In a word, no.
And this is by design to avoid cluttering your Home screen. Remember that at any time you can tap and hold an app icon in the App Library and drag it straight to the Home screen. And conversely, you can remove any app from the Home screen by holding its icon, then choose Remove App from the contextual menu and select the option Remove From Home Screen.
Doing so will hide said app from the Home screen without deleting it permanently.
50 major new features in iOS 14
For a quick overview of the 50 headline new iPhone and iPod touch features in iOS 14, be sure to watch our hands-on video walkthrough embedded below.
Need help? Ask iDB!
If you like this tutorial, pass it along to your friends and leave a comment below.
Got stuck? Not sure how to do certain things on your Apple device? Let us know via [email protected] and a future tutorial might provide a solution.
Submit your own how-to suggestions via [email protected].