If you want or need to write in an app without the extra fluff that word processing applications can include, then you want a plain text or markdown editor.
There are several good apps on the App Store and a few of the top ones can cost you. However, if you want to give it a go with a free app, this list is for you. Here are the best free text and markdown editors for iPhone and iPad.
Free text and markdown editors for iOS
Bear is a terrific choice with some features you’ll enjoy. You can easily capture notes, articles, and more and use markdown tools in a focused writing environment.
Bear notable features:
- Organize your notes with tasks and tags.
- Create notes using Siri or Shortcuts.
- Use cross-note links for references.
- Export in a variety of file types.
- Sketch or draw with Apple Pencil.
Since Bear is available across Apple devices, you can sync your notes with Bear Pro which also gives you note encryption, advanced export options, and additional themes.
- Availability: iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac
- Cost: Free with a subscription purchase for Bear Pro if you’re interested in the extra features
Another great free markdown app for iOS is Drafts. You can customize your text editing experience, use dictation, and personalize the tools in the keyboard for what you use most.
Drafts notable features:
- Use helpful tools for markdown, lists, indents, margins, and others.
- Organize entries with tags and flags.
- Try different modes for linking, arranging, and focus.
- Save time with actions for Messages, Mail, Twitter, and more.
- Create notes with Siri and dictation.
With Drafts, you have a number of excellent features that let you write the way you want without templates and distractions. It’s available across your devices and with a subscription, you can get additional features like workspaces, themes, icons, and widgets.
- Availability: iPhone, iPad, and Mac
- Cost: Free with a subscription purchase for the extra features
One more text and markdown editor you should check out is Pretext. You can choose to save in a text or markdown format right when you create your note, article, or document.
Pretext notable features:
- Distraction-free writing.
- Simple settings for font size.
- Use syntax highlighting and one-tap formatting.
- Check out an HTML preview or export.
- Save items to iCloud Drive.
Pretext may not have as many features as the other apps on our list, but if you want an easy-to-use, free markdown and text editor for iPhone and iPad, it’s a good one.
- Availability: iPhone and iPad
- Cost: Free with an in-app purchase for dark themes and app icons
Wrapping it up
All of these text editors are terrific in their own way. Whether you want to write in plain text or need to use markdown, you’re covered with them all.
Do you use one of these apps already or do you have a different free one you’d like to recommend? Let us know below!