In previous versions of iOS on iPad, you had the ability to split your keyboard. This feature splits the keyword into two pieces on the left and right, and is handy if you are a thumb-typist like on your iPhone.
Now in iPadOS, you can do even more with your keyboard.
You can float the keyboard and move it wherever you like. With a simple gesture, moving your iPad keyboard to the side of the screen, or even the corner is easy, here’s how.
Move your iPad keyboard to the side of the screen
Open an app where you plan to use your keyboard. For our example, we’re using the Notes app. You should have your keyboard in full view at the bottom. Follow these steps to make it float so you can move it.
Float the iPad keyboard with a gesture
1) Take your index finger and thumb and pinch inward, toward the center of the keyboard.
2) When the keyboard shrinks to a small square, hold the bottom, where the line is, and slide the keyboard to its new location on your screen.
Float the iPad keyboard with a button
1) Tap and hold the keyboard button on the bottom right.
2) Select Floating.
3) Just like when using the gesture above, drag the keyboard where you want it by holding the small line at the bottom.
Return your keyboard to full view
No matter where your keyboard is on the screen when it’s floating, simply use your index finger and thumb to spread outward from the center of the keyboard.
The keyboard will then return to full view docked at the bottom of your screen.
What else is new in iPadOS?
For more new stuff iPad users can enjoy, here are a few other iPadOS features to check out.
- How to open multiple windows of the same app on iPad
- How to use the new Column view in the iPad Files app
- How to add and pin widgets to your iPad Home screen
Wrapping it up
The nifty floating keyboard that is more compact and can be used anywhere on your iPad screen is another cool new feature for iPadOS users.
Do you think this keyboard feature will be helpful to you? If so or if not, let us know your thoughts on it in the comments below!