Following a long wait and last-minute delays, thatgamecompany’s Sky: Children of the Light for iPhone and iPad is now available globally in App Store. The free download includes optional in-app purchases, such as bundles and season passes, ranging from $0.99 to $49.99.
Two weeks ago, Sky: Children of the Light became available to pre-order in App Store. Today’s release follows last year’s launch of its beta version, titled Sky: Light Awaits.
You play as a Sky child tasked with spreading hope through a desolate kingdom and returning the fallen stars to their constellations. If the screenshots and the official trailer are an indication, this atmospheric adventure title will stun you with breathtaking graphics.
If you’ve ever spent a few seconds playing an iOS port of the popular PlayStation game Flower, also by thatgamecompany, you’re familiar with the kind of lush environments and rich graphics that you can expect from Sky.
A core emphasis in Sky is on playing online with other people and a control scheme optimized for one-handed gameplay with just a single thumb on iOS devices or even your Apple TV’s Siri Remote.
Sky lets you explore seven different realms to uncover a mystery. You will be matched with players around the world. This bit sounds like Journey, where you would encounter real players, and that experience was beyond special. Sky will also have character customization and gifting that lets you grow friendships. thatgamecompany also announced plans to have seasonal events and keep expanding the realms.
The key highlights include:
- Soar and explore 7 dreamlike realms to uncover the mystery
- Encounter and socialize with like-minded players from around the world
- Feel free to express yourself with a delightful selection of character customizations
- Gift candles of light to share appreciation and grow friendships
- Enjoy a unique musical experience and create harmonies together
- Join an ever-expanding world with new upcoming attractions, including seasonal events and expansion of realms
- Team up with others to adventure into darker realms, save spirits and uncover ancient treasures
The game was teased at Apple’s iPhone X event in September 2017 as an Apple TV-exclusive with single-finger gameplay using the Siri Remote. Thankfully, thatgamecmpany has since decided to release the game across iPhone, iPad and Apple TV, with plans to go multi-format with Android, macOS, tvOS, PC and console version following at a later stage.
It’s coming soon Apple TV, Mac, Android, PC and consoles.
As mentioned, the free-to-play title includes in-app purchases that are entirely optional, like bundles and season passes, which range from $0.99 to as much as $49.99.