On Monday, Apple pushed out a new HomePod software update. It arrives within the iOS 12 release for iPhone and iPad.
The HomePod update includes all of the new features Apple announced at last week’s “Gather round” event. These include:
- The ability search for songs using lyrics. For example, you can ask Siri to “play the song that goes like this …” or you can ask Siri to “play the song that goes ‘Because the sky is blue.”
- Using HomePod to make and receive phone calls.
- The ability to ping iOS nearly using a Find My iPhone feature.
- Multiple timers on HomePod allow you to set different countdowns.
- Siri Shortcuts allows Apple’s voice assistant to learn routines to make sure life easier.
- For example, “Hey Siri, good morning” could automatically run a morning routine that includes ordering your favorite drink from a coffee shop’s app, plus turn on the lights in your bathroom through the Apple Home app.
To update your HomePod once you have iOS installed:
1) Open the Home app on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with iOS 11.2.5 or later.
2) Tap the arrow icon in the upper-left corner.
3) Choose the Software Update option.
4) If there’s a new software update available for your HomePod, tap Install and follow onscreen instructions to apply the new firmware to your Siri-driven speaker.