Aside from sharing a bunch of exciting new features designed for iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple Watch, Apple during today’s WWDC 2018 keynote talk also spent some time talking about the latest Apple TV features afforded by the upcoming tvOS 12 software.
tvOS 12 brings the following key enhancements:
- Dolby Atmos—Unlike the traditional surround setup where audio is split between individual channels, Dolby Atmos technology treats each sound as a virtual object that can be positioned anywhere in the 360-degree virtual space during post production. It’s the most advanced surround sound technology that’s currently available to users commercially. Your library of existing movies and TV shows will be upgraded automatically with Dolby Atmos support at no additional charge.
- TV app—In addition to the existing live news feature and a huge range of live sports served through Apple’s TV app by third-party sources, Apple has partnered with content providers in local markets: Canal Plus in France, Salt in Switzerland and Charter Spectrum in the US, which will be coming exclusively to Apple TV later this year. According to the company, 100 video channels are now available through the TV App.
- Zero Sign-On—Last year brought us Single Sign-On, a feature that automatically unlocks access to all the video-streaming apps that you’ve subscribed to. This year, tvOS 12 will treat us to Zero Sign-On, which will automatically and securely approve all your video apps. Apple says that Zero Sign-On just works, but we’ll judge it when we see it in action. Charter Spectrum will be the first provider to support Zero Sign-On, with more providers jumping on board over time.
- Better Apple TV control—Home control systems like Control, Crestron and Savant can now be used to control your Apple TV, including using Siri for voice search and control. iOS 12 will automatically add Apple TV Remote widget to Control Center on iPhone and iPad for all users who own an Apple TV.
- Aerial screen saver—The stock Aerial screen saver provides some truly magnificent birds-eye footage shot using professional drones in 4K. And now you’ll be be able to see every Aerial location with a tap of your Siri Remote, and swipe between them. Users will get to enjoy another awesome Aerial screen saver in tvOS 12, Space, filmed by NASA astronauts aboard the Intentional Space Station.
- AutoFill passwords—With iOS 12, users can securely and automatically fill any passwords saved on their iPhone and iPad to their Apple TV in order to sign in to tvOS apps easier than ever before.
Apple said that Apple TV has experienced 50% year-on-year growth. iTunes, the company said, offers the largest collection of 4K HDR movies and TV shows, in addition to existing HDR-enabled streaming services like Netflix and HBO.
tvOS 12 will release commercially this fall alongside other OS updates.
For more details on tvOS 12, visit the webpage at apple.com/apple-tv-4K.