Update: tvOS 11.1 and iOS 11.1.2 are now unsigned.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RESTORE TO THEM!
New exploits for iOS 11.1.2 and below have made the possibility of upcoming jailbreaks very real. However, without the proper preparation, you could be left in the cold, without blobs to restore, or on the wrong firmware. Also, not everyone should update, so you need to be sure it’s for you. Let’s go through the options.
Should I save blobs?
Yes. Everyone should save blobs, regardless of device or current firmware. You never know when a new tool will let you use them, and they may save your bacon. People who should especially save them are those who are already jailbroken, or who are waiting on iOS 10.3.x for a v0rtex/Saïgon jailbreak. They may be able to move to iOS 11 later using them, and have the best of both worlds. This is not certain however. If in doubt, save them now. If doubtless, save them. We have a guide on saving blobs.
I’m on iOS 11.2 at the moment
Downgrade immediately to iOS 11.1.2 while it is still signed. You will need to download the firmware manually, connect your device to iTunes, alt-click Update or Restore, and select the downloaded iOS 11.1.2 .ipsw. On Windows, a shift-click is needed instead. Do not simply click Restore/Update, as this will take you to iOS 11.2, which we do not want.
Once on iOS 11.1.2, follow my guide to stop your device from updating, and wait to see how the jailbreak progresses.
I’m on iOS 11.1.2 already!
Stay where you are! That is perfect. Follow my guide to stop your device from updating, and wait to see how the jailbreak progresses.
I’m on iOS 11.0-11.1.1
These firmwares should still be supported by the exploit, but since you can, why not upgrade immediately to iOS 11.1.2 while it is still signed? You’ll still be covered, and you can grab the extra features and bug fixes at the same time. To do so, follow the section entitled I’m on iOS 11.2 at the moment.
I’m on iOS 10.3.x
This is the only legitimately tough one. The vulnerability used in Ian Beer’s iOS 11.1.2 exploit has already been made into another exploit by Siguza, called v0rtex, for iOS 10.3.x. There is not really much to choose between them in terms of jailbreak. I personally would stay, as the Saïgon tool already exists to host v0rtex, v0rtex is being heavily worked upon, and iOS 10.3.x may offer more of the bugs which are still needed to finish off a jailbreak. However, if you just have to have iOS 11 and believe both exploits will become a full jailbreak, follow the instructions in the I’m on iOS 11.2 at the moment section.
If you have an iPhone 5s, an iPad mini 2, an iPad mini 3, or an iPad Air (1) AND you have blobs saved for a jailbroken iOS 10 firmware, do not update. You can use futurerestore with your blobs and v0rtex to downgrade to an iOS 10 jailbreak, such as Yalu.
I’m on iOS 10.0-10.2.1 jailbroken
If you’re on any of these firmwares, have already consulted our Can I Jailbreak? guide, found you can jailbreak, and done so, then stay where you are. Do not exchange a current jailbreak for a possible future one. Unless you want to of course, in which case, we accept no liability.
I’m on iOS 10.0-10.2.1 on an un-jailbreakable device/firmware
If your device wasn’t covered by the early iOS 10 jailbreaks and fell through the cracks, then you might consider upgrading by following the instructions under I’m on iOS 11.2 at the moment. An exception would be users on iOS 10.2.1 with a device that is expecting Saïgon support. For the other niche groups who missed their iOS 10 jailbreak, like non-iPhone 7(+) users on iOS 10.0, I’d say the time has passed and you should just upgrade to iOS 11.1.2.
I’m jailbroken on a firmware below iOS 10
If you’re happy with your current level of app support and compatibility on iOS 9, 8, 7, &c. feel free to stay and enjoy your jailbreak, which may even be untethered. If however you’re beginning to feel excluded from your favourite app updates and the iOS feature-set, now might be the time to consider moving to iOS 11.1.2. Follow the instructions under I’m on iOS 11.2 at the moment.
If you have an iPhone 5s, an iPad mini 2, an iPad mini 3, or an iPad Air (1) AND you have blobs saved for a jailbroken iOS 10 firmware, do not update to iOS 11. You can use futurerestore with your blobs and v0rtex to move to a full iOS 10 jailbreak, such as Yalu.
I have a 32-bit device, what about me?
If you have a 32-bit device un-jailbroken on iOS 10.x, stay where you are. v0rtex can technically support you all the way up to iOS 10.3.3, it’s only a matter of time.
If you have a 32-bit device on any firmware below iOS 10, you can jailbreak already! Do not update in hopes of a jailbreak when you already have one. Besides, you can just wait there until v0rtex is finished, and then update.
Apple TV and tvOS
If you have an Apple TV 4K on tvOS 11.2, you’re screwed. Sorry.
If you have an Apple TV 4K or an Apple TV 4 on tvOS 11.1, stay where you are! Block updates with a nifty method.
If you have an Apple TV 4K on tvOS 11.0, stay where you are! Block updates with a nifty method.
If you have any other Apple TV, nothing to see here I’m afraid.
In summation, everyone on every device, on every firmware, should periodically save blobs for every new firmware. Other than that, the general rule is that jailbroken users should stick, and non-jailbroken users should move to iOS 11.1.2 where possible. There are exceptions though, so read carefully. It is on iOS 10.2.1-10.3.3 that the hardest decisions lie, as those users must choose between two unreleased prospects. I advise staying, but it will be a personal decision. For more background, and in some cases even different options, I recommend you check out our full Can I Jailbreak? guide. It has more nuance and exposition.