Samsung took a full-page ad in three major U.S. newspapers to apologize to its customers for the Note 7 recall. The Korean Herald newspaper is reporting that the company’s letter to customers was signed by Gregory Lee, who is president and CEO of Samsung Electronics North America.
The ad appeared in Monday editions of The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and The Washington Post.
“An important tenet of our mission is to offer best-in-class safety and quality. Recently, we fell short on this promise. For this we are truly sorry,” reads the ad.
Samsung still hasn’t gotten to the bottom of why precisely the Note 7 was exploding spontaneously, but says it’s continuing investigation into the debacle.
“We have already initiated investigations with independent third party experts to carefully revisit every aspect of the device, including the battery, hardware and software, manufacturing processes and the overall battery structure,” says the firm.
“We will move as quickly as possible, but will take the time needed to get the right answers,” reads the ad. The ad also acknowledges problems with 34 different models of Samsung’s top-load washing machines that have also forced Samsung to recall 2.8 million affected units in the U.S.
“Most importantly, safety remains our top priority,” the ad says. “We are grateful for your ongoing support and again, we are truly sorry.”
Samsung also issued an online letter to its European customers apologizing for the Note 7 fiasco. Signed by Y H Eom, President and CEO of Samsung Electronics Europe, the letter states that Note 7 fires affected “a small number of affected customers” in Europe.
“Because we had not gone on general sale in Europe with the Note7, there were a small number of affected customers here,” reads the letter. “For those customers who received the device during the pre-order phase, we recognize that we have not lived up to your expectations, or our own high standards. For this we are truly sorry.”
Samsung reiterates in the letter that it has stopped production of the Note 7, ensuring customers that it’s working swiftly to ensure every Note 7 device is safely returned. “For those directly affected, we appreciate your patience throughout the replacement process,” reads the online letter to European customers.
As of last week, around 85 percent of all Note 7 devices have been returned, according to Samsung.
Source: The Korean Herald