If you have a jailbroken iPhone, which is likely after this weekend’s release of the Pangu jailbreak for iOS 9.3.3, then you’ve probably already found that Pokémon GO can’t run on a jailbroken device. It’ll crash at startup instead.
In this tutorial, we’ll show you a workaround so you can play Pokémon GO on your jailbroken iPhone without it crashing every time it starts up.
Playing Pokémon GO on your jailbroken iPhone
Update: This method no longer works as of the latest versions of Pokémon GO.
If you want to play Pokémon GO on your newly-jailbroken iPhone, then you will need to install a patch via Cydia so that the app can’t tell you’re jailbroken.
To do that, you’ll follow these steps:
1) Open Cydia from your Home screen and go to the Sources tab.
2) Tap on the Edit button at the top right of the app interface, and then tap on the Add button at the top left of the app interface.
3) Type the following URL into the source-adding prompt:
4) Once entered, tap on the Add Source button. You will see a black screen with white text; wait for it to complete, then tap on the Return to Cydia button.
5) Now the CokePokes repository should show up in your sources list. If it does, open the Changes tab in Cydia.
Note: You may need to search Cydia for Masterball after adding the repository if it doesn’t appear in the Changes interface.
And now you’re done! After you respring your device, you can try re-launching Pokémon GO on your jailbroken device, and the app should launch and perform as it normally would on a stock iOS device.
Now that you have both a jailbreak for your iOS 9.3.3 device, and the ability to play Pokémon GO on it, you should be one happy camper.
- How to jailbreak iOS 9.3.3
- Tips for leveling up quickly in Pokémon GO
- A guide to the items you’ll find in Pokémon GO
- How PokéStops work in Pokémon GO
Did this solution work for you? Share in the comments!