Amazon-owned IMDb, the world’s largest collection of movie, TV and celebrity information, has a nicely done iPhone and iPad application available for free in the App Store that has just gotten a whole lot better in the latest version 4.5 release.
For starters, the software at last provides a bunch of useful technical specifications for movies such as the original aspect ratio, color, audio, runtime and what not.
Next, movie pages now include box office information giving you yet another indication of the movie’s popularity — that’s in addition to the previous data like review scores. Note that U.S. box office result data was previously available only via the app’s Popular Charts feature.
If you want to write a plot for an obscure movie that lacks descriptions, or maybe add interesting trivia to a television show, you can now do so directly in the mobile app, without visiting IMDb’s interface on the web.
The Showtimes features can switch between 24-hour or AM/PM times based on your preferences. Speaking of which, Showtimes now makes it possible to switch between your favorite places as well/
The app’s Top 250 Movies and Trending Movie lists have been enhanced with useful icons illustrating the ways to watch a movie. Finally, title and name pages have been revamped for readability and you can now watch trailers or browse photo galleries without digging through the interface.
IMDb 4.5 changelog:
- We’ve finally added Technical Details and Box Office data to our movie pages.
- Do you have interesting trivia to add to a movie or TV show? Is there an obscure film you love that lacks a plot? Now you can submit both directly from the app.
- Visual updates to title and name pages, and a quick way to jump into photo galleries and trailers.
- Looking for something to watch after you get home from work? Showtimes now gives you an easy way to switch between commonly used places.
- Showtimes now uses 24-hour time or AM/PM, depending on your preference.
- Top 250 Movies and Trending Movie lists now have icons that show ways to watch.
The team has addressed some of the most annoying bugs in this release, too. As a result, you should no longer see full-screen expanding ads more than once per day, as per iTunes release notes. Moreover, the ads won’t cover your search bar like before or crash the app.
The 16.9-megabyte app is universal so it’ll scale nicely on any iPhone, iPod touch or iPad devices as long as it’s compatible with iOS 7.0 or later.