Folks looking to kill some downtime this weekend should head on over to the Apple Store app. Apple is always offering up free iOS content in its digital storefront, and its latest benefaction is the popular beat-making app ‘iMaschine.’
iMaschine promises to put “professional groove production in the palm of your hand.” It features 16 pads with over 400 samples, a melody keyboard, and a voice recorder for vocals. You can even sample sounds directly from iTunes.
Here’s a list of some of the app’s other features:
- Included library features 100 MB of content: 10 projects, 25 kits, and over 400 samples
- Record your own one-shot samples through the integrated microphone on your iOS device
- Keyboard mode for playing chords, bass, and melodies
- Note repeat with 1/4 note to 1/32 note range for keyboard and drum pad mode
- Audio recorder lets you record vocals, field recordings or any audio from your iOS device’s microphone
- Live-mode sequencer automatically detects recorded loop length
- Import your own 44.1 kHz 16-bit .WAV samples via iTunes
- Export your mix as an audio file or directly upload it to SoundCloud
And here’s a video showing what iMaschine is capable of:
The app is made by Native Instruments, which is well known for its pro-music hardware and software, so you know that it’s powerful. The developers even offer tutorials on their YouTube channel on how to begin making in-app music.
To grab the app for free, simply launch the Apple Store app, and navigate to the bottom of the ‘Stores’ page to pick up your redeem code. Unfortunately, it looks like it’s for US users only via the iPhone app, as I haven’t found it on iPad yet.