From time to time, you may switch credit card providers, get a new credit card number, or opt to use a different payment method than the one you’re already using.
It’s easy to change your Apple ID payment information right from your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad and in this tutorial, our aim is to teach you how.
How to change the credit card you have on file with Apple
To change the payment information you already have set up with your Apple ID from your iOS device, you’ll want to follow these steps:
1) Launch the Settings app from your Home screen and open the iTunes & App Store cell from the list.
2) Tap on your Apple ID in blue at the very top of the next preferences pane you see.
3) In the pop-up prompt, tap on the View Apple ID button.
4) You will be prompted to sign in with your Apple ID, so go ahead and enter your password and then tap OK.
5) After you successfully sign in, you’ll tap on the Payment Information cell in the next preferences pane.
6) Now you will see your current payment information. From here, you can pick the credit card type you wish to use, and change your credit card number, security code, expiration date, and billing address information to your heart’s content.
7) Once satisfied, you can tap on the blue Done button at the top right of the preferences pane, and you will soon get an email like the one below, confirming the change.
Now that you’ve changed your payment information tied to your Apple ID, the new credit card you have just added will be charged any time you make a purchase from any of Apple’s online digital content stores.
So basically, your old credit card that you replaced won’t be charged anymore.
If you wanted to remove your credit card from your Apple ID completely, the process is similar, except that you would choose the None option under the Payment Type information rather than selecting a new credit card provider. This may be useful for preventing those with access to your Apple ID from racking up an unwanted credit card bill at the end of every month.
Changing your Apple ID payment information is a good idea if you ever sign up for a new credit card that you’d rather use instead, or if you recently had an account number change to protect yourself from fraud. Imbued with the information you learned in this tutorial, you should be able to make the change in as little as 5 minutes.
Have you ever needed to change your Apple ID payment information before? If so, did you do it from your iPhone? Share below!