Tomb Raider: Anniversary, the grand reimagining of the original 1996 Tomb Raider video game for the new audience, is now available on the Mac as a $9.99 download in the Mac App Store. Created by Feral Interactive and Square Enix, the game retraces Lara Croft’s original adventure in pursuit of the legendary Scion artifact.
Tomb Raider: Anniversary is powered by an enhanced graphics engine, dubbed Tomb Raider: Legend, with enhanced physics and animations delivering a fluid experience and bringing life to the game’s massive environments on your Mac.
You’ll be exploring the lost city of Atlantis and ancient Egyptian pyramids, deftly leap around charging enemies with Lara’s trademark acrobatic gunplay, engage wild creatures and lethal predators such as the awesome T-Rex and Atlantean centaurs.
“When Lara is hired by a powerful tycoon to retrieve the mythical Atlantean Scion, she embarks on an epic journey around the world to uncharted lands that have remained hidden for centuries,” reads the description.
“As she unearths long-buried tombs, she discovers that not only has she awoken their mysterious guardians but that there are others desperate to learn the Scion’s dark secrets.”
And since this is a pure Tomb Raider experience, expect the usual dose of leaping over massive gaps, clinging onto rock ledges, swimming through underground tunnels and much more.
Check out the full game trailer below.
The graphically improved gameplay experience should make revisiting the original game’s locations and environments, including classical Greece, ancient Egypt and the lost city of Atlantis, that more fun.
And if you carefully discover and collect hidden relics, you’ll earn different outfits for the game’s heroine. You can also complete time trials for every level to unlock bonus content and solve puzzles in Lara’s home to uncover its secrets.
The blurb lists the following highlights:
- Epic Exploration: The lost city of Atlantis and ancient Egyptian pyramids are ripe for discovery: explore every hidden dark crevice and impossible heights; enter into strange, undiscovered lands and solve their deepest, darkest mysteries; open doors to new realms, uncover great rewards and unearth secrets to Lara’s past.
- Acrobatic Gunplay: Deftly leap around charging enemies while you unleash a hail of bullets from your trademark dual pistols.
- Lethal Predators: The wilderness awaits with a wide range of bestial predatorsfrom bats to wolves to bearsready to defend their territory from human encroachment. New and improved AI means that all enemies will exhibit a more diverse behavior set, providing improved combat challenges for the player. Supernatural elements are used sparingly to provide a mystical allure around the world, while maintaining the world’s grounded core. The awesome T-Rex and intriguing Atlantean centaurs suck you in to the wonderfully intriguing and mysterious world of Tomb Raider.
- Death-Defying Environmental Playground: Leap over massive gaps, cling onto rock ledges, and swim through underground tunnels.
- Solve the Diabolical Machinery of the Past: Seek to outwit the brilliant ancient designers of many epic puzzles and vaults in order to uncover their secrets. Be warned that they do not take kindly to ‘meddling’, and as such, the price of failure is extreme.
The game supports more than a hundred different gamepads. Note that you cannot install Tomb Raider: Anniversary onto volumes formatted as Case-sensitive.
Minimum system requirements for Tomb Raider: Anniversary include a Mac with a 1.8GHz Intel processor, four gigabytes of RAM and 256 megabytes of video memory. The ATI X1xxx series and Intel GMA series graphics cards are not supported.
Recommended specs include a Mac with a 2.4GHz Intel processor, four gigabytes of RAM, 512 megabytes of video memory, OS X 10.10.5 and a gamepad.
To learn more about the game, check out the official website.
Tomb Raider: Anniversary is a massive 2.9-gigabyte download that requires about five gigabytes of free disk space to install. The game is localized in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.