Internet radio services like Pandora, Rdio, iHeartRadio, Deezer and many others have been feeling the heat following the launch of Apple Music with free 24/7 Internet radio, called Beats 1. Responding to competitive pressure, Rdio announced Wednesday that it is bringing live-broadcast radio stations to its iOS app, beginning with 500 stations owned and operated by its partner, Cumulus Media.
The new stations are available through Rdio’s mobile app starting today and include many traditional AM/FM radio stations. Talk radio stations and sports ones are part of the deal as Rdio looks to counter Beats 1, which is anchored by human DJs in Los Angeles, New York and London.
Users can search for live radio stations by name, call letters, or frequency. In the Stations section you can browse popular radio broadcasts nearby and around the country, such as Nash FM in Nashville.
“Rdio is proud to also feature national programming such as NASH Next, spotlighting the best from emerging country music artists,” said the company.
The app recommends similar stations and even lets you not only favorite any song playing on a live radio station, but add it to a playlist or download the song for offline listening (requires a paid membership).
The Los Angeles Times reports that KLOS-FM (95.5) in Los Angeles and KFOG-FM (104.5) in San Francisco are among the new stations offered through the Rdio app.
Live radio stations on Rdio
Here’s the full list of all stations live on Rdio as of today, sorted alphabetically by city.
- Abilene, Texas: KBCY, Power 103, The Bear 102, 98.1 The Ticket
- Albany, Georgia: 1590 WALG, Mix 107, Rock 103, Nash FM 104.5, 102.1 Nash Icon, V 101.7
- Albuquerque, New Mexico: 96.3 Nash Icon, 103.3 ED-FM, 770 KKOB, 93.3 KOB FM, 99.5 Magic FM, 610 KNML, Nash FM 92.3, 1050 KTBL
- Allentown, Pennsylvania: Cat Country 96, 100.7 WLEV
- Amarillo, Texas: 95.7 The KAR, 107.1 KPUR Armadillo, 93.1 The Beat, Rock 108
- Ann Arbor, Michigan: 1290 WLBY, Ann Arbor’s 107 One, WTKA, W4 Country
- Appleton, Wisconsin: WNAM 1280, WOSH, Nash FM Wisconsin, 103.9 WVBO, 96.9 The Fox
- Atlanta, Georgia: Kicks 101.5, Rock 100.5, Q100, 98.9 Nash Icon, OG 97.9, News Radio 106.7
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana: Q106.5, Max 94.1, Classic Hits 103.3, Heaven 1460
- Beaumont, Texas: Nash FM 101.5, Sports Radio 1450 AM, Q94, Magic 102.5
- Birmingham, Alabama: 1070 WAPI, Jox 94.5, Jox 2 100.5, Hot 107.7, 99.5 Nash Icon
- Blacksburg, Virginia: 105.3 The Bear, 710 WFNR, Mix 100.7, Nash FM 107.1, Super Sports 101.7
- Bloomington, Indiana: 101.5 WBNQ, B104, WJBC, 93.7 Nash Icon, WJEZ
- Boise, Idaho: 670 KBOI, Kissin’ 92, 96.9 The Egal, Nash FM 97.9, The Ticket
- Bridgeport, Connecticut: WEBE 108, WICC 600
- Buffalo, New York: 103.3 The Edge, 97 Rock, Sports Radio 1270 The Fan, 104.1 WHTT
- Charleston, South Carolina: Nash FM 96.9, Magic 107.3, 95SX, WTMA, Z 93 JAMZ
- Chattanooga, Tennessee: WGOW 1150 AM, Talk Radio 102.3, 107.9 Nash Icon, KZ 106
- Chicago, Illinois: 89 WLS, 94.7 WLS, The Loop 97.9, The Loop 97.9, 101 WKQX
- Cincinnati, Ohio: 96 Rock, 103.5 WGRR, Nash FM 94.1, Fox 92.5, Warm 98
- Colorado Springs, Colorado: 95.1 Nash FM, The Animal 1300 AM, KKFM, 98.9 Magic FM, 92.9 Peak, 740 KVOR
- Columbia, South Carolina: 1320 The Fan, Kiss 103.1 FM, 107.5 The Game, 98.5 Nash Icon, B106.7
- Columbia Jefferson City, Missouri: Nash FM 100.1, BRX, KFRU, Cool 97.5, KLIK 1240 AM, Q106.1, KPLA, Sports Radio 104.1
- Columbus Starkville, Mississippi: Nash FM 94.9, Mix 106.1, Sports Radio 103.1 The Team, 99.9 The Fox
- Dallas, Texas: ESPN Dallas 103.3, KLIF 570, Hot 93.3, 99.5 The Wolf, 96.3 KSCS, The Ticket, WBAP
- Des Moines, Iowa: The Champ, 95 KGGO, Nash FM 97.3, 92.5 Nash Icon, 98.3 The Torch
- Detroit, Michigan: Nash FM 93.1, 96.3 WDVD, WJR
- Erie, Pennsylvania: Z102.3, Classy 100, 104.3 The Vibe, 97.9 Nash FM
- Eugene, Oregon: Star 102.3, NRQ, 1320 Radio Unica, KUGN 590, Sports Radio 95.3, KZEL 96.1
- Fayetteville, Arkansas: Nash FM 94.3, 1030 KFAY AM, The Keg, Power 105.7, 92.1 The Ticket, 94.9 Nash Icon
- Fayetteville, North Carolina: WFNC 640 AM, Magic 106.9, Q98, Rock 103
- Flint, Michigan: 92.7 WDZZ, Nash FM 95.1, Sports Xtra 1330, Super Talk 1570, CK 105.5
- Florence, South Carolina: Glory 98.5,Magic 94.3, Nash FM 100.5, 102.1 The Fox, Sports Radio 100.1 The Fan, WYNN 106.3
- Fresno, California: Mega 97.9, KMJ NOW, 93.7 Kiss Country, Y101
- Ft. Smith, Arkansas: 102.7 The Vibe, 100.7 Nash Icon, BIG Country 107.3
- Ft. Walton Beach, Florida: WFTW, 99 Rock, Coast 93.3, Nash FM 105.5, z96
- Green Rapids, Michigan: WBBL, 105.3 Hot FM, 1340 WJRW, 97 LAV-FM, Nash FM 94.5
- Green Bay, Wisconsin: The Fan 107.5, WKRU, 103.1 WOGB, Nash FM Wisconsin, Star 98
- Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: 95.3 Nash Icon, WINK 104, 105.7 The Rocks, Hot 93.5, WXKC-HD2
- Houston, Texas: 104.1 KRBE
- Huntsville, Alabama: 94.1 WHRP, The UMP, WVNN, 93.3 Nash Icon,104.3 WZYP
- Indianapolis, Indiana:WFMS 95.5, 104.5 WJJK, 93.9 The Beat
- Kansas City, Missouri: Kansas City Chiefs Radio Network, 101 The Fox, 95.7 The Vibe, 105.1 Jack FM, KCMO Talk Radio, 94.9 KCMO, 102.5 Nash Icon, Magic 107.3
- Knoxville, Tennessee: WIVK, Sports Radio WNML, News Talk 98.7
- Kokomo, Indiana: 100.5 KI
- Lafayette, Louisiana: Magic 104.7, Q95.5, KSMB, Nash FM 99.1
- Lake Charles, Louisiana: Super Talk 1400 KAOK AM, Warm 103.3, Rock101, 97.9 Nash Icon, Sports Radio 1580, KYKZ 96
- Lexington, Kentucky: Hot 102, Nash FM 92.9, 590 WVLK, 101.5 Nash Icon, Z-Rock 103
- Little Rock, Arkansas: 1090 am KAAY, The Sports Animal 920 AM, News Radio 1029 KARN, Power 92 Jams, Alice @ 107.7, B98.5
- Los Angeles, California: 790 KABC, KLOS
- Macon, Georgia: The Fan, WDDO Gospel, 99 WDEN, Blazin 92.3, WMAC, B95.1, Z93.7, Rock 105.5
- Melbourne, Florida: WA1A, Nash FM 102.7, 95 Rock
- Memphis, Tennessee: Kix 106, 98.9 The Vibe, 103.5 WRBO, 98.1 The Max
- Minneapolis, Minnesota: 92 KQRS, 93x, 105 The Ticket
- Mobile, Alabama: 97.5 WABD, 93BLX, 104.1 WDLT, Gospel 900
- Montgomery, Alabama: Y102, News Radio 1440, WLWI 92, Sports Radio 740, Mix 103.3, WNZZ 950, 95.1 The Fox
- Muncie, Indiana: Nash FM 102.5
- Muskegon, Michigan: Big Talk 1490 AM, Muskegon Nash Icon, 98.3 WLCS, V100, Sunny 97.5
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina: 98.5 Kiss FM, Fox Sports Radio 1050, Nash FM 106.5, Sports Radio 100.3 The Team, Sunny 103.1
- Nashville, Tennessee: 104.5 The Zone, Nash FM 103.3, 92 Q, 95.5 Nash Icon, Super Talk 99.7
- New London, Connecticut: 102.3 The Wolf, Q105, 980 WXLM
- New Orleans, Louisiana: Power 102.9, Old School 106.7, The Ticket 106.1, Nash FM 92.3
- New York City, New York: WABC Radio, Nash FM 94.7, PLJ, 94.3 WFAS
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: KATT Rock 100.5, Wild 104.9, 96.9 Bob FM, 98.9 Kiss, La Indomable 930 AM, The Sports Animal 98.1
- Oxnard, Ventura, California: The New 95.1 KBBY, 100.7 KHAY, 106.3 Nash Icon, Sports Radio 1450, 103.3 The Vibe
- Pensacola, Florida: WCOA Pensacola, Soft Rock 94.1, Magic 106.1, Nash Pensacola
- Peoria, Illinois: 97.3 Nash FM, 95.5 GLO, 105.7 The Rocks, WVEL, Power Peoria
- Providence, Rhode Island: 630 WPRO, 92 PRO-FM, 790 Business, Hot 106,Lite Rock 105
- Reno, Nevada: Nash FM 98.1, KKOH, Magic 95.5, Wild 102.9
- Saginaw, Nevada: 96 WHNN, WHEELZ 104.5, 102.5 WIOG, Z93
- Salt Lake City, Nevada: B 98.7, KBER 101, TRAX 101.9, 1320 AM KFAN, Alt 94.9, 860 Utah’s Big Talker, K-Bull 93 FM
- San Francisco, California: KFOG, KGO, KNBR, 107.7 The Bone, KSFO, Nash FM San Jose, KTCT
- Savannah, Georgia: 630 BMQ, E93, WIXV I-95, Nash FM 96.5, The Ticket, Magic 103.9, Savannah Nash Icon
- Shreveport, Louisiana:99.7 KMJJ, i97.3, Super Talk 1340, Nash FM 101.1, Magic 102.9
- Springfield, Massachusetts: Sports Radio 1450 The Hall, 94.7 WMAS
- Stockton/Modesto, California: 99.3 KJOY, KWIN, 104 The Hawk, KHOP, Kat Country 103
- Syracuse, New York: 95x, 93Q, The Score 1260, The Rebel 105.9
- Tallahassee, Florida: Star 98.9, Gulf 104, Heaven 1410, 96.1 JAMZ, Blazin’ 102.3
- Toledo/Monroe, Ohio: K100, Talk Radio 1470, 106.5 The Ticket, 98.3 Nash Icon, 93.5 WRQN, Star 105, 94.5 XKR, Toledo’s Zone
- Topeka, Kansas: V 100, Y105, KMAJ, Sports Radio 1490 KTOP, Nash FM 102.9, 99.3 The Eagle
- Tri-Cities, Tennessee: WJCW, 104.9 Nash Icon, WQUT, WXSM
- Tucson, Arizona: Sports Radio 1290 AM, KHIT 107.5, KIIM FM, 97.5 The Vibe, KTUC 1400
- Washington, District of Columbia: WMAL, All The Hits 107.3
- Westchester, New York: News Talk WFAS, 94.3 WFAS
- Wichita Falls, Texas: 99.9 KLUR, 94.9 Outlaw, Hot 103.9, The Bear 104.7
- Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania: 97BHT, 97.9 X, Magic 93, Nash FM 93.7
- Wilmington, North Carolina: WAAV the Wave, 102.7 GNI, 94.5 The Hawk, Coast 97.3, WWQQ
- Worchester, Massachusetts: Nash Icon 98.9, The Pike 100 FM, WXLO 104.5
- York, Pennsylvania: Warm 103.3, Sports Radio 1440 AM, i105, WSBA 910, 96.1 Sox
- Youngstown, Ohio: Sports Radio WBBW, Hot 101, Sports Radio 96.7, 790 WPIC, K 105, WSOM 600, Rock 104, Y-103
Their website offers a list of some of top live radio stations nationwide.
Apple’s contracts with major music labels reportedly include rights to launch up to five additional Beats stations. The Verge said last week that Apple could choose to debut “a Beats 2 station headquartered in Australia or Asia,” or seasonally available stations.
The publication learned form a source that the per-play rate Apple pays the labels for music played on Beats 1 is already “better than Pandora.” Given the power of the Apple and Beats brands and the ubiquitousness of Beats 1 Radio, companies like Pandora and Rdio stand a lot to loose as Apple increases the appeal of Beats 1 and releases additional human-curated Beats stations.
Interestingly, there has been “no considerable drop in iTunes downloads” due to Apple Music’s launch, though things could easily change down the line—especially as more and more people sign up for Apple Music and buy fewer music downloads as a result of the convenience of all-you-can-eat access to the 30+ million songs on iTunes in exchange of a flat fee of $9.99 per month.
The fight for advertising dollars
It remains to be seen whether talk radio and sports-focused programming will help Rdio draw more listeners and advertising dollars. A Nielsen study found that more than 90 percent of U.S. adults listen to radio every week. According to the research firm, adults spend an average of 13 hours a week listening to radio, compared with 29 minutes with streaming audio.
“If you’ve read the tech press over the last few months, you’d think the tech business invented radio,” Rdio’s chief executive, Anthony Bay, said in an interview. “Radio is still the most widely used form of audio. There’s a big audience out there.”
In its most recent update, Rdio for iOS has added the ability to tap on the album art in the player to quickly favorite, download, share and more.
The service has more than 35 million songs to discover, play and share and offers Unlimited tiers ranging from $8.99 per month to $14.99 per month. A $3.99 per month tier offers ad-free stations and 25 downloads at a time.
The 65.8-megabyte download requires an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad with iOS 7.0 or later. The app is optimized for native display resolution of the iPhone 5/5s/5c, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus and currently lacks a WatchKit component.