CARROT Weather, the popular app featuring a robot assistant with a personality and attitude, is now available on the Mac. Like its iOS counterpart, sadistic robots in CARROT Weather’s Mac app will taunt you when it’s going to rain while offering some hilariously twisted weather forecasts based on Forecast.io’s accurate weather data.
In addition to the new Mac app, CARROT Weather for iOS has been updated with a bevy of new features such as notification forwarding from the Mac app to your iPhone or Apple Watch when you’re away from your desk, new radar and satellite maps and a Time Machine feature which lets you check out the weather for any location up to 70 years in the past, or ten years in the future.
“CARROT Weather for Mac is an eerily accurate weather app with hilariously twisted forecasts,” teases the blurb. “There are secret locations to unlock. A time machine. And also evil penguins.”
The minimalist weather app provides short-term, 24-hour and 7-day forecasts, daily notifications for precipitation and severe weather, a mini window sitting in the menu bar providing fast access to the weather and more.
CARROT Weather in action
CARROT Weather takes advantage of the latest OS X technologies.
For example, the app offers a Today widget for the Mac’s Notification Center and supports Handoff technology for transferring tasks between devices with ease. And like its updated iOS counterpart, the Mac app launches with a new Time Machine feature for viewing the weather for any location up to 70 years in the past or ten years in the future.
Check out the launch trailer below.
All told, the Mac app includes more than two-thousand lines of spoken dialogue, more than a hundred animated scenes, a bunch of secret locations to unlock and many different themes for every possible weather condition.
Mac app features
Release notes offer the following highlights:
- Overflowing with personality—From spooky fog to torrential downpours, CARROT’s dialogue, characters, and scenery change in… “unexpected” ways. You’ll actually be looking forward to a blizzard just to see what CARROT has in store for you.
- Accurate and insanely detailed—Forecast.io’s super accurate weather data gives you access to 24-hour and 7-day forecasts. And there’s enough meteorological goodness packed inside to satisfy even the most demanding weather nerd. (Available worldwide)
- Rain/snow prediction—If the rain gods are mad at you, CARROT will show you a short-term forecast that tells you right down to the minute when it’s going to start precipitating. (Available only in the US, UK, Ireland, and parts of Canada. Everything else works worldwide)
- Notifications—Whenever CARROT detects precipitation or a severe weather alert in your area, she’ll ping you with a notification. And if you own CARROT Weather for iOS, she can even forward the notification to your mobile device when you’re away from your desk! (Note: CARROT Weather for Mac must be running to send notifications to your iOS device.)
- Quick-access mini window—CARROT’s Mini Window resides in the menu bar and lets you view the short-term, hourly, and daily forecast with a quick click or keypress. You can even detach the Mini Window from the menu bar and keep it in front of your other apps.
- Time machine—Want to know how warm it will be for your big vacation next July? Or if it was ominously cloudy on the day you were born? View the weather for any location up to 70 years in the past or 10 years in the future. DeLorean not required!
- Secret locations—Unlock 30+ secret locations – like Mount Doom, Nakatomi Plaza, or the Moon – just by using CARROT.
Some of the data points offered by CARROT Weather for Mac include your “Feels like” temperature, wind speed and direction, humidity, visibility, barometric pressure, Dew point, UV index, sunrise and sunset times, Moon phases, snow amounts and more.
CARROT Weather for iOS gains new features, too
To celebrate the launch of the Mac app, developers have updated their existing iPhone and iPad application with more than a dozen new features and enhancements.
If you own the Mac app, notifications for precipitation or severe weather will be forwarded to the iOS and Apple Watch app when you’re away from your Mac.
Other changes include:
- Overhauled Today widget with 5 different display options.
- Rebuilt Apple Watch app to enhance load times and support notifications.
- Added new dialogue, summer weather scenes, and a secret location. (Hint: It’s related to the Time Machine feature.)
- Added UV index and 24-hour wind speed forecast to details screen.
- Added two new gestures: use a two-finger swipe to quickly switch locations, and tap the current temperature to display the high/low and precipitation chance for today.
- Fixed bugs my idiot Maker let slip through, then fixed the ones he introduced while fixing the original ones.
Finally, they added a Time Machine feature to the iOS app, radar maps (U.S. only) satellite views for the rest of the world, with the map now showing points of interest.
CARROT Weather is now available across OS X, watchOS and iOS platforms.
The $3.99 iPhone and iPad application requires iOS 8.0 or later, is optimized for native display resolution of the iPhone 5/5s/5c, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus and features a WatchKit component with a glance and an Apple Watch app.
CARROT Weather for Mac requires an Intel-based Mac with OS X Yosemite 10.10 or later and is available with a 25 percent discount during its launch week.