CBS News issued a major refresh to its iOS application sporting an overhauled appearance and offering a plethora of new features. CBS News 3.0 brings out, among other enhancements, 24/7 live streaming video, push notifications for breaking news, in-depth coverage for constantly evolving stories, nicely designed photo galleries, a new ‘Quick Read’ feature and much more. The free of charge software is at last being provided as a single universal binary for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
The updated software now includes access to CBSN, the brand new 24/7 digital news channel from CBS News which packages live anchored coverage, original reporting and breaking news in “an innovative interactive video experience.”
24/7 live streaming, on-demand video and full episodes are available for select programs such as CBS Evening News, CBS This Morning, 60 Minutes, 48 Hours, Sunday Morning and Face the Nation.
CBS News is also available through the Apple TV.
CBS News 3.0 changelog:
- CBS News has been completely redesigned and is now a single iOS 8 compatible universal app for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
- Now featuring CBSN: a 24/7 streaming video news channel that features original CBS News reporting, live anchored coverage and on-demand news segments.
- Easy to use, customizable pop-out navigation, bigger story headlines, adjustable font sizes in news stories and better support for related stories, videos and galleries within the story view.
- Categorized news headline lists now include the “Quick Read” feature allowing users to read more than the headline before deciding to tap on the full article.
- Expanded video offering from the CBS News programs, now includes more show subcategories and complete 60 Minutes segments and 48 Hours episodes from the current week’s shows.
- New, gorgeous full screen photo galleries.
- Expanded In-Depth coverage for large, complex, or constantly evolving stories.
- Latest business headlines and market info from CBS MoneyWatch.
- Share interesting stories with your friends and family via email, Facebook, or Twitter.
- Breaking news push notifications.
A 12.6-megabyte download, the app is now a universal binary supporting iPhones, iPads and iPods.