Following its soft-launch in New Zealand, Australia, Canada and Finland on September 25, Rovio’s Angry Birds Transformers is now available globally as a free-to-play download for the iPhone and iPad, the Finnish mobile games maker announced Wednesday morning.
Featuring cars, trucks, tanks and planes and a plethora of heroes and villains with unique attacks and abilities, the movie tie-in challenges your Autobirds (I chuckled) to save Piggy Island from the crazed robots on a mission to nuke it out of orbit.
The familiar Angry Birds characters have been given an amusing Transformers-themed makeover so Red becomes Optimus Prime, Chuck is Bumblebee and so forth.
“They’ve got lasers and they turn into cars,” says the blurb. ”Plus they have arms and legs – that’s a first!” Surprisingly, Autobirds have to join forces with their arch rivals — wait for this — the Deceptihogs, which Rovio says are like the Decepticons from the movies, “only smellier”.
The game also features support for Telepods figures allowing you to teleport your favorite characters straight into the game.
Note that a network connection is required for certain game features. Aside from this,
when you play Angry Birds Transformers for the first time there is a one-off download of additional content in the background.
- Collect: Unlock a roster of heroes (and villains) with unique attacks and abilities.
- Destroy: Leave the slingshot at home – this time you have some serious firepower
- Vehicles: Oh, yes! Car, truck, tank or plane – transform to dodge falling hazards.
- Upgrades Get stronger weapons and new abilities for every Transformer.
- Tag team: Borrow a friend’s character to unleash a devastating two-bot assault.
- Telepods:: Scan ‘em to unlock, revive or boost your bots!
Angry Birds Transformers is a freemium releases so there are optional In-App Purchases available. The universal iPhone and iPad download comes in at 94.5 megabytes and iOS 7.0 or later is required.
[App Store via Rovio Blog]