San Francisco, California headquartered wearable products company Jawbone on Monday released a brand new Up software for the iPhone in the App Store (not to be confused with the firm’s existing Up app).
The app lets you share Up’s food, fitness and sleep tracking data with iOS 8’s Health app, and vice versa. Jawbone has opened up its platform to third-party development so more than a hundred health and fitness applications and accessories for the iPhone and iPad now integrate with Up, with or without HealthKit, including Strava Running & Cycling, Wello, IFTTT, RunKeeper and MyFitnessPal.
By tracking your activity, diet and sleep, the software can adapt to your habits and provide personalized fitness advice, powered by Jawbone’s Insight Engine. Once connected to Health on iOS 8, the app will use your available steps and sleep data that the motion chip inside your iPhone 5s or later automatically collects on your behalf.
“With step tracking, workout logging and Insight Reports, UP is way more than a pedometer,” developers noted in release notes. “Add friends to your team to cheer and be cheered”.
Chart via Jawbone.
You can also use the app to monitor weight and set custom alerts to get reminded when it’s time to get moving, take your medicine, hit the bed and more.
For instance, iPhone users can set alerts with UP for specific activities like taking medicine, starting a workout, or preparing for bed. UP also helps monitor weight and other information with goals and social aspects to the app as well.
The app can also track food with features like frequent meals, an enhanced calorie counter, an expanded library of restaurant menus and a Food Score providing an at-a-glance overview of your general well-being.
- UP/ UP24 wristband not required.
- Connect UP to Apple’s Health app to provide richer activity tracking and personalized insights.
- Get personalized insights to help you set & achieve your goals
- Log your food & drink & track nutritional info
- Track your physical activity and get more fit
- Log workouts, from yoga and hiking to tennis and dance
- Log your sleep
- Team up with friends in the app for encouragement and friendly competition
- Today I Will – UP suggests personalized goals. If you accept, UP encourages you along the way
- Streaks & Milestones – Get notifications that celebrate the progress you’re making
- Activity alerts – Receive move notifications when you want them.
- Share UP’s Insights via email, message, Facebook or Twitter
The 78.3-megabyte download is available free of charge in the App Store.
For a comprehensive list of HealthKit-enabled apps, check out the featured App Store section titled “Apps for Health”.
Note that Health is not supported on iPads.