Plenty of new and interesting apps and games flooded the App Store this week. After a few weeks of slowdown, it is nice to see things picking up again. Whatever you are into, there is a new app or game out there to keep you going.
Whether you want to play a simple puzzle game, learn a cover song, or catch up on a murder mystery, we’ve got a list of apps and games you are sure to enjoy. Just don’t forget to go outdoors for a bit and take advantage of the nice summer nights…
Our favorite blue hedgehog is back and bouncier than ever. In the basic version of Sonic Jump, players try to climb higher and higher to reach every possible golden ring, always trying to get further. In this new version, the competition is fierce as players compete for higher point scores against others. To add to the mayhem, you’ll be racing against the clock. Grab bonus items and upgrade your characters as you reach for the stars in all new locations. Find Chao to help you discover hidden rings and beat the bad guys. This game is available for free.
Every guitarist that learns cover songs should have this app in their arsenal. Not only can you take advantage of the quality slow-down feature to practice complex parts at your own pace, but you can also find out what chords are being played so you don’t have to look up tablatures separately. Load a song from your device’s music library and it will automatically detect the time signature, key, and instrument. Manually adjust the settings for a number of different instruments or bury the vocals in the background for vocal practice. Learning that Led Zeppelin cover will be as easy as learning a Ramones cover. This app is on sale for $4.99.
In this black-and-white world, players control a floating cloud of space flotsam. Drag your finger across the screen and the ball of matter will follow along. The goal is to collect dots as you fly around in space. The more dots you collect, the bigger and stronger your dark matter ball will get. Players roam around an expansive landscape, freeing bits of space dots from evil forces that want to keep the dots for themselves. Similar to Osmos, your dark matter will continue growing and morphing along the way. Steer clear of planets, or you might get sucked into their gravitational pull. This game is available for $0.99.
Poppin’ wheelies on your dirt bike is what this game is all about. Pick your rider and customize your bike before hitting the track to perform sweet stunts. Show how good you are in three different modes of play including Stunt, Time Attack, and Challenges. Compete against friends in Ghost mode to see who is faster. Create your own epic course in the Track Editor with more than 150 objects to add. Share your tracks with others to see what they think of them. There are more than 40 main tracks and five different environments to explore, not to mention your custom tracks. This game is available for $1.99.
In this sequel to Sky Tourist, players join Petey Pendant as he travels to the new planet of Plumia. Those familiar with the original will recognize the similar game mechanics. Players help Petey travel upward through a treacherous world collecting gold boxes. Move Petey with the help of two spaceships, one on either side of the screen. As you move them along, Petey, who is swinging from a chain across the middle on a hook, will slide from side to side. The world is filled with plenty of obstacles and traps that you must move out of the way. Watch out for bad guys. They don’t like Petey messing with their planetary arrangements one bit. This game is available for $0.99.
It is that time of the year again, time for Wizards of the Coast to launch a new campaign for the everlasting Magic card game. This year’s collectable card series might be the biggest one yet as players craft the perfect deck from hundreds of unique cards. Just like in real life, players can purchase booster packs to grow their collection and pick the cards they want to go into battle with. If you’ve never played Magic, now is the time to start since Magic 2015 features a detailed tutorial to give you a rundown on the rules. Play against other real-life opponents in multiplayer mode and see if your deck fairs better against your friends’. This game is available for free.
This week, Wadjet Eye Games launched the first three games of the Blackwell series all at once in the App Store. Much to the fans’ delight, we won’t have to wait for each game to be released individually. The Blackwell Mystery Adventures follow young Rosa Blackwell as she discovers her clairvoyant abilities and learns that she is the next in the family line to take on the task of helping spirits find peace. In this point-and-click adventure game, Rosa must track down restless ghosts before they cause harm to the living and help them discover the truth about their death. Legacy is available for $1.99 and Unbound and Convergence are available for $2.99 each.
More apps you should check out
- n7player is a music player with an interesting twist
- The best dictionary apps
- EasyJet deploys iBeacon support to select airports
- App Recap: free copy of Threes + dozen app updates/discounts to boot your week
- App Recap: action-packed day with deep discounts, must-try new apps and major updates
- Gameloft’s ‘Modern Combat 5: Blackout’ set to be released July 24th
- Pixelbite announces ‘Reckless Racing 3′ coming this fall
- Appoint is a smart calendar that works the way you want it to
- Fates Forever is a fun and familiar MOBA
- App Recap: major game sales, new apps to keep you busy and updates to tell your Mom about
- Another Google app hits iOS: AdWords Express
- The season finale of ‘The Wolf Among Us’ now available
- Wunderlist 3 previewed: fast sync, gorgeous UI and 60+ improvements
- Nike releases new Soccer for iPhone app
- Capo touch review: learn to shred like the pros to your favorite tunes
These apps have been updated
- Skype refresh brings back voice messaging and contact profiles
- Google Play Music now supports gapless playback, playlist downloading and more
- Starbucks offering popular ‘Threes’ game as its free ‘Pick of the Week’
- Foursquare refreshes Swarm with better check-ins, easier sharing and other enhancements
- Readdle updates Documents with background music, e-book reader, iPhone add-ons and more
- Rdio gains revamped station artwork and Station Pages
- Apple posts iTunes U 2.0 update with Discussions, creation tools and more
- Apple Design Award-winning games Blek, Monument Valley and Threes on sale
- Minecraft – Pocket Edition 0.9.0 update brings infinite world size and more
- Google launches new YouTube Creator Studio app for iPhone
- Tempo Smart Calendar 1.4: Reminders, Waze integration, events in natural language and more
- LinkedIn reboots its Contacts for iPhone app as LinkedIn Connected
- Assassin’s Creed Pirates goes free as Apple’s App of the Week
- MLB updates At Bat and At the Ballpark as iBeacon rollout continues
- Afterlight is an iPhoneographer’s dream app
- Photoshop Express can now remove blemishes, reduce fog and haze in photos and more
- Google Maps gains Gmail appointments and search results on map and more