As promised back in March, Glitchsoft has released its highly anticipated title Uncanny X-Men: Days of Future Past. The game is a tie-in to the upcoming Marvel movie of the same name, and is now available for download on your iPhone or iPad.
The game is of the 2D side-scrolling variety, and allows X-Men fans to participate in the ‘Days of Future Past’ story arc for the first time. It’s combat-focused, fast-based, and looks great thanks to Glitchsoft’s proprietary ‘Helios Game Engine’ tech…
Here’s some background on the game’s story:
The world around you is in ruins. Sentinel robots have enslaved most of the United States and are set to stage a global war. The X-Men have failed; the few who survived this nightmarish future are imprisoned in Mutant Internment camps. But all is not lost, the battle for the future can be fought in the past. With one chance to re-write history, The X-Men must stop this war by preventing the assassination of Senator Kelly.
Recreate one of the most iconic stories from the X-Men universe, based on John Byrne and Chris Claremont’s original comics and expanded to tell the whole story behind the nightmare that is the Sentinel Uprising. Journey through a post-apocalyptic New York City, Washington D.C., Savage Lands, Asteroid M and more.
And here are a few of the game’s top features:
- SPECTACULAR GRAPHICS – Featuring a breakthrough in 2D graphics, Uncanny X-Men combines stunning parallaxing effects with next-gen lighting, shattering the barriers between consoles and your iPhone/iPad.
- MASSIVE BOSS ENCOUNTERS – Battle against iconic X-Men villains such as Magneto, Nimrod, Master Mold and more.
- CAPTIVATING COMIC-BASED STORY – Co-written by Josh Fine, producer of Wolverine and the X-Men, and based off the original Days of Future Past issues by John Byrne and Chris Claremont.
- ASTONISHINGLY INTUITIVE CONTROLS – 2 control schemes to suit everyone’s preference. Sentinel destruction can be achieved through virtual buttons or button less swipe controls.
- UPGRADE YOUR MUTANT ABILITIES – Each X-Men boasts 4 upgradeable mutant abilities including Wolverine’s healing factor, Shadowcat’s phase punch and Cyclops’ optic blast.
- HIDDEN LORE SECRETS – 50 Years of X-Men history are hidden throughout the levels. Find character bios, comic book covers, concept art and more.
I for one am excited to see Marvel go a different route this time, rather than pairing with Gameloft to create the usual hack-and-slash tie-in title. Uncanny X-Men: Days of Future Past looks worth checking out, and again it’s in the App Store for $3.