Following big updates for Mac OS X and iTunes, Apple has this afternoon published an update for its iOS Podcasts client. The update brings the app to version 2.1, and includes a handful of new features and improvements.
Among the new features are Siri integration and support for CarPlay. Users can now ask Siri to play specific podcasts by simply saying ‘play’ and then the name of the podcast file, and control the app using a CarPlay vehicle…
Here are your full release notes:
What’s New in Version 2.1
This update includes several improvements that make playing your favorite podcasts even easier:
Improved Episode Browsing
• Quickly find episodes you haven’t listened to in the new Unplayed tab
• Browse episodes that are available to download or stream in the Feed tab
• Save your favorite episodes to keep them offline
• Episodes can now be automatically deleted after you play them
• Tap on links that appear in podcast and episode descriptions to open them in Safari
• You can now ask Siri to play podcast episodes by simply saying “play podcasts”
• To play specific podcasts or stations, just ask Siri to play them by name, like “play TEDTalks”
• Please note that Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas.
• Podcasts now supports CarPlay
• Start playing a station right from the stations list — just tap the Play button next to the station name
• Share links to your favorite podcasts using AirDrop
If you’re interested, you can find the latest version of the Podcasts app for iPhone and iPad in the App Store for free. And if you haven’t already, be sure to check out iDB’s two weekly podcasts: Let’s Talk iOS and Let’s Talk Jailbreak.
This article is brought to you by Duet Display, an awesome app that turns your iPhone or iPad into an extra display for your Mac or PC. Get it now in the App Store.