Sonos has introduced a major new version of its app which allows you to control your Sonos hardware using an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad.
Following the release of a redesigned Android app earlier in the year, Sonos has now refreshed its iOS counterpart with a revamped user interface, while adding dozens of new features, refinements and enhancements.
The all-new Sonos 5.0, in addition to the flattened interface, now supports VoiceOver (on iOS 7 devices only), lets you use the included Universal Search feature to search multiple music services at once (Google Play Music, MLB, Beats Music, Shuffler.fm and others) and more.
The new version is now available in the App Store…
Sonos in a blog post said the new app focuses on six major new feature additions.
The expanded list of supported music services now includes 38 streaming products, including many that offer a free experience on Sonos like Songza, Hype Machine, Pandora, Google Play and Shuffler.fm.
The Universal Search feature lets you search across all your music services by typing an artist to discover their new album, radio station and more. Additionally, you can search for a track and discover all the versions across services including live performances, remixes and covers.
A new button at the bottom of the Now Playing screen lets you perform common actions such as add tracks to playlists, save to favorites, set times, turn on shuffle, repeat, cross-fade and more.
The app also supports alarms to wake up to your favorite music, can create playlists from multiple music sources and lets you manage and control music playback in all the rooms in your home by tapping the top right corner from the Now Playing screen.
If you’ve previously installed the Sonos Controller for iPad, remove it before installing Sonos 5.0. For other devices, there is no need to uninstall before updating.
From the massive 5.0 changelog:
Sleek New Design: Effortlessly control your world of music with an app designed by and for music lovers.
• Touch the SONOS icon at the top to display the SONOS music menu
• Touch the room name at the top right to display the ROOMS screen.• Easily access Shuffle and Repeat from the queue pane.
• Access Crossfade and Sleep Timer from the Info & Options pane.
• Using your phone, swipe to toggle between the Now Playing screen and the last place you browsed; using your iPad, drag and drop tracks or albums directly into the queue or the Now Playing pane.
Explore Music Services: From popular favorites to specialized music services, Sonos makes it easy to browse our wide selection and discover new ways to explore the world of music.
• The More Music menu option has been renamed Add Music Services.
• The music service detail pages include descriptions of available services in your country.
Universal Search: With this update you can now search across all of your music services at once to find and enjoy the music you love
• For example, if you have three different music services installed, a search for the artist Beck now returns relevant matches for all three.
• You can quickly jump across categories with the tap of a finger.
Surround Mode: If you have surround speakers connected to your PLAYBAR, you can now change the surround setting for music playback (this setting does not apply to TV audio).
• Choose from Ambient (default, subtle, ambient sound) or Full (new setting that enables louder, full range sound).
• Using a handheld Sonos controller:
– From the Settings menu, touch Room Settings.
– Choose the room that has surround speakers connected, and then choose Advanced Audio -> Surround Settings.
– Select either Ambient or Full.
The following settings have been added to the Manage Music Library menu
• Schedule Music Index Updates
• Sort Folders By
• Compilation Albums
The following settings have been added to the Advanced Settings menu
• Wireless Channel
• Audio Compression
• Auto Check for Updates
iOS 6.0 or later is required.