Yahoo has updated its official Search client for iOS this morning, bringing the app to version 3.1. The update doesn’t include much, but is instantly noticeable thanks to the all new design. Yahoo calls it ‘minimalist,’ but we often refer to this as iOS 7-style.
For those who aren’t familiar with it, the app is pretty much your standard web engine with a built-in browser, but of course with Yahoo’s services. So for folks invested in the ecosystem with either Mail or Tumblr, it could offer more than Google or Bing…
From the App Store description:
Easily find the information you need when you’re on the go. The new minimalist design puts the focus on your results so you can get the information you need in a snap.
– Get instant suggestions as you type with Search Assist.
– Go hands-free with Voice search.
– Find local results faster with combined map and list view (US only).
– Swipe right to toggle between web, image, and video results.
– Clear your search history and set Safe Search preferences in Settings.
– Refine your query by tapping the arrows next to keyword suggestions.
I’m not a Yahoo user, but I have to applaud it. It’s managed to make itself [somewhat] relevant again with these mobile apps. It started with the beautiful Weather app it released last spring, and continued with a revamped Mail app last fall, and now this.
It’s also making significant moves on a broader scale, partnering with Apple for Stocks and Weather apps in iOS, and buying up Tumblr for just over $1 billion. It may be time to stop overlooking them. Anyway, the Search app is available for free in the App Store.