Facebook’s new Paper for iPhone app has just landed in the App Store, download it free. The news-reading application, which employs beautiful edge-to-edge design and Flipboard-like gestures, serves both stories surfaced from your News Feed and cherry-picked items from big name publications curated by Facebook editors. The app can be customized with a choice of more than a dozen topics ranging photography and sports to food, science and design, with each section including “a rich mix of content from emerging voices and well-known publications”…
The first product from Facebook Creative Labs, Paper looks unlike anything Facebook created before. The full screen design looks pleasing to the eyes and some of the gestures are reminiscent of Flipboard.
For example, to quickly swipe through articles left and right, you just pull down on an article to flip it open.
Check out the promotional Paper video.
From iTunes release notes:
- Browse stories from your Facebook News Feed in beautiful new layouts.
- Customize your Paper with sections about your favorite themes and interests.
- Unfold beautifully designed article covers for news and stories from trusted sources.
- Tilt the screen to explore vivid high-resolution photos and see details u0p close.
- Watch fullscreen videos that come to life and fill the screen.
- Use simple, natural movements to thumb through Paper uninterrupted.
- Craft your own stories and see exactly what your posts will look like before you share them.
I’m not a huge fan of the app icon, by the way.
Grab Paper for iPhone free in the App Store.
The app requires iOS 7.0 or later and supports the iPhone and iPod touch natively.
There’s no word on when an iPad edition might arrive. Note that Paper may not be available in all countries on day one (at press time, the app was only live on the US App Store).