With just one week left until the February 7 opening ceremony for the XXII Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, Apple’s editorial team has published a conveniently curated App Store section which highlights some of the best iPhone and iPad applications to follow the Games, along with some Olympics related music.
“Immerse yourself in the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics with this collection of official apps and music,” writes Apple. “Follow the progress of your favorite athletes, track each country’s medal, listen to the Torch Relay anthem, and much more”…
The section includes the following free apps:
- 2014 Team USA Road to Sochi – the official app by the U.S. Olympic Committee
- Team USA’s Pinsanity – collect and trade Team USA virtual Olympic pins
- NBC Sports Talk – the latest news, rumors and analysis
- Sochi 2014 Results – official results app of the Winter Games
- Medal Alert – receive alerts for your favourite sports and teams
- Olympic Atheltes’ Hub – athletes’ official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts
- Sochi 2014 Guide – competition schedules, sports venues, Sochi travelling tips
- The Everywhere Cam from Visa – 360-degree panoramic video of the events
Some of the apps vary by region.
For example, the Canada App Store includes the SOCHI Canadian Olympic Team app that provides information about the country’s Olympic Team athletes.
The aforementioned software is from the Sochi 2014 section from the US App Store. As for music, Apple only listed one album related to the Games: Make a Move by Gavin DeGraw.
Yahoo fans can follow the Games via the newly-updated Sports app, free in the App Store. Thanks to its partnership with NBC Sports, Yahoo users can also access NBCOlympics.com’s exclusive live and on-demand video, including live competition streams and highlights.
Don’t worry world, Steven Seagal says the Olympics are perfectly safe…he’s ON IT http://t.co/xVY0z35IBy
— David (@davidj) January 31, 2014
To get additional (unofficial) apps, search the App Store for ‘Sochi 2014′.
The 2014 Winter Olympics will be running between February 6-23 in the resort city of Sochi in Russia.