Games publisher Activision released Call of Duty: Strike Team in the App Store with little fanfare in early-September. But fans of the genre have taken notice immediately, pushing the game to become the number one app in over 30 countries and prompting our own Lory to include Strike Team in her weekly apps/games round-ups.
Call of Duty fans will be delighted learning that Activision today issued a major content update which brings a new attack mode, a new combat zone and a few other tweaks. I was immediately sold on one particular feature: brand new support for the new iOS 7 controllers like Moga’s Ace Power and Logitech’s PowerShell…
As these thingies sport thumb sticks, direction and shoulder buttons, D-pad and dock your device for a truly immersive console-like experience, you don’t need me to tell you that games like Call of Duty simply cry for physical controller support.
Indeed, nothing beats the solid feel of pressing on the physical buttons.
Unfortunately, they’ve forgotten to flatten the Home screen icon.
In addition to bug fixes, this content update enables a new Time Attack mode where you earn Tokens by killing as many hostiles as possible in a given time slot. Also new: the Atlas Mountains combat zone, available in both Survival and Time Attack modes
The previous update has unlocked all Survival mode maps for all players and brought performance optimizations tailored for the iPhone 5s and its speedy A7 processor.
Check out the original trailer.
The complete list of changes is as follows:
• Beat the Clock: In the new “Time Attack” mode, taking down hostiles rewards you with more seconds on the countdown timer. Survive longer and earn more Tokens. Available on all four Strike Ops maps
• New Combat Zone: Battle the insurgent threat in the Atlas Mountains in both “Survival” and “Time Attack” modes – unlocked for players who have reached XP level 16
• Take Control: Support for the extended (dual-thumbstick) controller on iPhone 5, 5C and 5S running iOS7 or above.
• Challenge Everyone: Compete against your Activate and Game Center friends in daily challenges for bragging rights and to earn rewards, now unlocked for all players.
• Active Service: Play Call of Duty: Strike Team every day to earn big Token bonuses, now unlocked for all players.
• Bug Fixes: resolved a UI scaling issue on iPad Air devices, several smaller miscellaneous fixes and optimizations
If you’re into Call of Duty, check out a free companion app, depicted below.
It works in tandem with Call of Duty: Ghosts to bring a new dimension to multiplayer by letting you stay connected to the game on the go, with second-screen functionality and the new Call of Duty Clan Wars metagame.
Today’s content update is of course free to those who’ve purchased the game.
The 961MB download supports natively the iPhone and iPad devices running iOS 6, but you’ll need newer hardware because Strike Team won’t run on the iPhone 4 and the fourth-generation iPod touch or earlier.