Jonas Gessner, the hardworking developer behind the ProTube line of jailbreak apps, is back again. He’s updated his ProTube Extension for YouTube tweak to be leaner, faster, better looking, and better functioning. It’s an evolution of a tweak that we reviewed earlier this year, and I can tell you that after using version 2.0, it’s a pretty significant improvement over its predecessor.
The whole premise behind ProTube Extension is to supercharge Google’s very on YouTube app. This isn’t a replacement for the YouTube app, but an enhancer for it. It’s how the YouTube app would function if it was on a regular diet of anabolic steroids. The good thing about ProTube Extension? No ill side effects. Take a look inside as we go hands on with one of the best YouTube enhancing tweaks that you’ll find on Cydia…
The first thing you’ll notice about the new ProTube is its updated design. It’s not a drastic departure from the previous version, but many of the design elements have been tweaked and refined to make for a more cohesive experience. The new design is most apparent with the download manager, which heavily benefits from the visual refinements.
Outside of the visuals, there are a lot of functional enhancements that make this new version of ProTube more of a pleasure to use. For instance, there’s now an option to tap and hold on a video to begin the download process. That means that you no longer need to start watching the video before you’re able to download it.
Along that same theme, there’s a new option in ProTube’s preferences that allows you to disabled auto-play on videos. I don’t know about you, but I find it annoying when YouTube decides to automatically start a video just because I loaded up the video page. With ProTube, you now have the option of examining the video’s description and comments before it begins playing.
The post download experience is uber refined as well. ProTube Extension for YouTube includes a new audio player, that looks and feels much like the stock Music app in iOS. This audio player complements the audio only downloads, which are an option with ProTube installed.
Speaking of audio, those of you who peruse YouTube to listen to music videos will be especially happy. ProTube has a toggle in its preferences that lets you enable or disable backgrounded audio. This means that you can start a video, close YouTube, and still listen to that video play in the background. It’s perfect for those of you who use YouTube for your music listening.
Still not convinced about all of the new goodness baked into the latest ProTube update? Give the change-log a once-over, and you’ll surely change your mind:
- All new design to fit into the look of the YouTube app
- Added support for the latest version of the YouTube app
- Added background audio playback for videos
- The download manager is completely redesigned with awesome new features and even better UX
- Make playlists for downloaded videos for better management
- Download can be paused and resumed at any time
- Even failed downloads can be resumed where they failed
- Added a full featured music player for downloaded audio files
- Full Bridge integration, never leave the app again when importing songs!
- Multi selection editing which makes managing videos so much easier
- Added an option for the default playback quality
- Added an option to disable autoplay
- Added an option to select the audio download quality
- Added 18+ age restriction bypass
- Added blocked video bypass
- Added an option to select the Main page (What to Watch or subscriptions)
- Added some other options (you can see them in the settings panel)
ProTube Extension for YouTube is now available as a free upgrade for those of you who already purchased the previous version. Others will need to shell out the $0.99 purchase price.
What do you think about the new feature set and refinements? Share your thoughts and observations in the comment section below.
For an in-depth comparison between YourTube and ProTube, be sure to check out our comparison feature.