Apple announced iBooks 3.0 during its big media event today. And while it wasn’t the focus of the event that we were expecting, the update does add some nice new features, including better iCloud integration and a new scrolling theme. And as promised, it’s now available for download…
From the App Store change log:
Introducing iBooks 3
• See all your iBookstore purchases in iCloud—right on your bookshelf with iOS 6
• Scroll vertically through your books with the flick of a finger using the new Scroll theme
• Receive free updates to purchased books—including new chapters, corrections, and other improvements
• Look up definitions for words in German, Spanish, French, Japanese and Simplified Chinese with iOS 6
• Share quotes or thoughts about your favorite book with friends on Facebook, Twitter, Messages, or Mail
I have to admit, I think I’m really going to like the new Scroll theme. As you can see in the above image, it allows you to vertically scroll through your book (like a PDF document) up and down, as opposed to the normal page-turning left to right motion. It’s not necessarily easier, it’s just more smooth.
If you’re interested in checking out the update for yourself, you can find in the App Store in the Updates tab. If you don’t already have iBooks installed, you can download the latest version here.