It’s like Christmas for me right now. One of my favorite jailbreak apps, Action Menu, has been updated to bring support for iOS 4, the iPhone 4 and the iPad. I’ve always confessed my love for Action Menu, which saves me tons of time in my everyday usage of the iPhone.
For those of you who don’t know about Action Menu, let me give you a quick glimpse at what it does. Action Menu takes a stab at enhancing the copy/paste function of your iPhone by adding a bunch of add-ons to it. The lite version is free but for $2.99, you can get the full-featured app, which I think is well worth the money.
Included in Action Menu (free):
- “Copy All” sends the entire text in the current field, all the items in the selected table, or the entire text of the web view to the clipboard.
- “Dial” sends the number present in the field, web view or active table cell to the Phone application.
- “Favorites” presents a list of common phrases to paste into the current text field. List is customized via the Settings app (my personal favorite feature)
- “Scroll” provides quick scroll to top and scroll to bottom buttons to make navigating tables and web pages quicker.
Included in Plus Pack ($2.99):
- “History” maintains a record of items that have been added to the clipboard for quick and easy pasting (a real time saver).
- “Lookup” integrates with Google Search, Wikipedia, Dictionary and Google Translate to provide quick info on the selected text.
- “Tweet” sends the selected text to your favourite Twitter client so you can get the word out.
- “Locate” pastes a link to your current GPS location on Google Maps.
- “Find” allows searching within a page in Safari, Twitter for iPhone and other standard web views.
- “Send to Pastie” uploads the selected text to pastie.org for easy sharing.
Of course you don’t have to use all of these. I actually only use a few, namely: copy all, favorites, scroll, history, and find. You can set what you want or not in the settings.
I really wish Ryan Petrich, the developer of Action Menu, had added the ability to label the “favorites”. Right now it can get messy in your favorites and if like me you have tons of them, it gets hard to figure out what is what in there. It’s a detail that I hope will be fixed in a future update.
The free version is a no brainer. Please make sure to give it a try. Then if you feel you need more out of Action Menu, upgrade to the full version. Seriously, it will be the best 3 bucks you’ve ever spent on a jailbreak app.