Well this sucks. Yesterday iDB reported on comments from the Chicago Police about the usefulness of recovering data from seized iPhones. Now Gizmodo says that a product eerily called the iPhone Spy Stick can access deleted data from your iPhone via USB.
For those asking how on earth a USB device could plug itself into your device, the stick comes with the necessary adapter. Nice eh?
Directly from the Spy Stick’s website is the indicated abilities attached to the $199 priced accessory:
- Get access to deleted information
- Download text messages and view calls made
- Recover deleted contacts and calendar items
- View pictures and other multimedia
- Get access to map history to see locations searched on the iPhone’s map with exact GPS coordinates
- Get access to notes, voice memos, multimedia files, and dynamic text data
- Downloading data is as simple as attaching the iPhone and iPhone Data Recovery Stick to a computer and pressing start
- iPhone information is saved on any computer and can be moved to other drives as a regular file
- Looks like an ordinary USB flash drive
- Catch a cheating spouse
- Monitor your kids iPhone text messaging and Internet use
- Check on employees using company issues iPhones
- Restore deleted files
Before you freak out about your iPhone’s security, it is worth mentioning that the not-so-friendly USB stick is currently only usable on iPhone iOS 3.2.1 and earlier. I’d venture to say this mostly targets those still using the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G. However the October version is said be coming for iOS 4 devices.
Will this stop users from selling their old iPhone when it comes time to upgrade? Please tell us your thoughts in our totally secure comment section.