Late last night, the Dev Team released PwnageTool 3.1.4 jailbreak for Mac OS X. This updated version of PwnageTool now supports the iPhone and iPod Touch OS 3.1.2. PwnageTool 3.1.4 for OS 3.1.2 comes just a couple days after BlackRa1n, a tool labeled as the “easiest and fastest jailbreak ever”, which doesn’t come without its share of issues.
What can PwnageTool for OS 3.1.2 do for you?
- PwnageTool supports the iPhone 3GS OTB. If you recently bought your iPhone with 3.1.2 or if you updated via iTunes, you will now be able to jailbreak your iPhone
- PwnageTool will not update your baseband, so if you want to unlock, you have to use PwnageTool. In contrast, BlackRa1n will update your baseband
- If you jailbroke your iPhone using BlackRa1n, you may install a custom IPSW cooked with PwnageTool (this will fix many issues you may have with BlackRa1n)
- Updating to a custom 3.1.2 IPSW will kill the tethering hack. If you need tethering, do not update
- You can jailbreak your iPod Touch 2G only if it was jailbroken before
- PwnageTool doesn’t support the iPod Touch 3G yet
- PwnageTool is Mac only but you can use a custom firmware cooked with PwnageTool on a windows machine (just make sure you can trust the source)
- There is no ETA for a Windows tool
- There is no ETA for a software unlock for the latest baseband
PwnageTool 3.1.4 is available for download from our downloads section.
For more detailed information about the release of PwnageTool 3.1.4 for iPhone OS 3.1.2, please visit the Dev Team blog.