This tutorial will show you how to use PwnageTool to jailbreak your iPhone firmware 2.2.1. Note that PwnageTool only works with Mac OS X. PwnageTool will create a custom 2.2.1 firmware that you will then load to your iPhone. This will allow you to update your iPhone without updating the baseband, which is a very important feature if you’re considering using YellowSn0w to unlock your iPhone.
This applies if you have a locked iPhone 3G and you wish to update to 2.2.1 but preserve the iPhone’s current baseband software. Preserving the baseband will ensure that you can still use “yellowsn0w” the iPhone 3G unlock application. To upgrade your phone to 2.2.1 and preserve the state of the baseband you need to create a custom .ipsw with PwnageTool. This custom .ipsw will not contain the baseband update but of course will still give you any new stuff from 2.2.1
As usual, you’re pwning your iPhone at your own risks…
All the files needed for this are available from the iPhone Downloads section of the site.
2. Double click PwnageTool 2.2.5 to mount it then drag & drop the PwnageTool icon in the Pwnage folder you created in step 1.
3. Launch PwnageTool.
4. You will then get a warning telling you that PwnageTool is a free tool. Click “ok”.
5. At the top left, select “Expert Mode”.
6. Select what device you’re using (in our case, it’s an iPhone 3G), then click the blue arrow to continue.
7. Now PwnageTool should automatically detect your 2.2.1 IPSW file you downloaded in step 1. If not, click “Browse for IPSW” and locate it.
8. PwnageTool will now give you different options. I suggest you only select “Cydia” the click “Build” to start building the custom IPSW file.
9. You will then be asked to choose where you want to save your custom firmware. Save it in the Pwnage folder you created in step 1.
10. PwnageTool will then create your custom IPSW file. Please be patient as it will most likely take 10-15 minutes.
11. You will then be asked to enter your admin password.
12. PwnageTool will then ask “has your iPhone 3G been pwned before?” If you are unsure, click no.
13. Per the directions, turn off your iPhone. Make sure it is connected to your computer.
14. This step is very important so make sure you follow the instructions correctly.PwnageTool will ask you to hold the home and power button for 10 seconds. Then release the power button while still holding the home button for 10 seconds. Your iPhone will then enter DFU mode.
15. If you fail, PwnageTool will give you the opportunity to start this process again. Simply unplug your iPhone, reboot it, plug it back in, and turn off the iPhone when PwnageTool asks you to.
16. PwnageTool will let you know once you successfully enter DFU mode.
Note: Mac OS X 10.5.6 users may have an issue with putting their iPhone in DFU mode. The easiest way to solve this is to use a USB hub between your iPhone and your Mac. Another way to do this is to run the Automator Script.
17. At this point, you will launch iTunes and restore your iPhone with your custom firmware bundle by holding the “Alt/Option” button and clicking “restore”.
18. Select the custom IPSW file you created (iPhone1,2_2.2.1_5H11_Custom_Restore.ipsw) and click “open”.
19. iTunes will then restore your iPhone, which should take 10-15 minutes.
20. After restoring your iPhone, iTunes will ask you to either “set up as a new phone” or restore from backup. I always choose “set up as a new phone” as it gives you the opportunity to start from a clean and fresh iPhone.
21. Your iPhone will reboot automatically and you will now have a pwned iPhone.
Please leave a comment if you have any question.